Many thanks to those who took the time to try to answer my query.  My
original message is repeated below along with the answers I received.  I
probably should have been clearer in my initial query.  Yes, my library is
automated, however in a school with almost 4,000 students and courses with
multiple textbooks, I wasn't looking to try to barcode and put onto my
computer the thousands of books utilized in the school.  We were looking
for a program that, after most texts are returned, could scan in the few
hundred outstanding books (I presume that the teachers would fill in some
sort of form) and I would be able to do the same with my long overdues.