Hi!

If you have a very old collection that you are weeding you might want to be
aware that you may be removing some valuable books that might be worth
something ... at least to someone.

I was at the OELMA conference and one of the author's referred to an author
of historical fiction that both she and I had loved when we were younger:
Gladys Malvern.  Behold Your Queen and The Foreigner were examples of two of
her titles.

I had old, yellow, nasty looking copies of her books (more than the two) on
my shelves but they hadn't been checked out for years and years.  So when I
weeded the fiction section those were removed.

The author commented that she would love to have copies of her books but that
they are out of print and hard to find.  I came home and was telling my
husband about this and he said to go look on EBay... sure enough there were
quite a number of her books for sale.  The old copy of Behold Your Queen went
last night for $30.00!

So, if you start to remove a book and you have any "feelings" about it... you
may want to check EBay and see if anyone out there is interested in it. (Of
course, you'll have to check with your district to see if it's permissable to
"sell" them even if you are planning to return the monies to your library
funds.  I figure it's better than the recycling dumpster!)

Right now I am on the look-out for one of her books that our school may
present to the author if she comes for a visit next year.  Anyone discarding
any old Gladys Malvern books?  :+)

Jo Anne Collins, L/MS
Kettering City Schools
Van Buren MS