Thank you for sharing your display ideas for new books.  A HIT follows.  I
appreciate the time you took to help!
I just attended a BER workshop with Jim Trelease entitled
"Reading More and Loving It". This suggestion probably won't work
in your library but it was such a great idea for classrooms I wanted
to share. Books with covers facing out are going to move faster
and more often than a book you only see the spine of. He used
the example of bookstores that often have the books for sale facing
out and also grocery stores display items face out. He suggested
using inexpensive plastic rain gutters and attaching them on walls
esp. under the chalkboard which is usually unused spaced. The
plastic can be easily cut to size. The brackets can be attached
even to concrete blocks and the gutters sit on them. Books can
then be displayed face out. A great marketing tool for classrooms.

I usually get lots of new books at one time so I set them out on
the tables and any other place I can find in the upper part of the library.
I send teachers invitations to come and preview the books. I have them out
for a day and a half. I put out lots of sticky notes so teachers can put
their name on the books they want to checkout (this way everyone can see
the entire new book selection). Teachers are then invited to attend a "Book
Share" and do a rapid review/curriculum connection on the new books they
selected. I have really great coffee and wonderful pasteries and have the
Book Share in the morning. I have been doing this now for 9 years and the
teachers LOVE it. It's a great way to introduce lots of books to lots of
people.

A wheelbarrow?
Picnic basket
Cooler for spring or summer
trunk

--Julia Steger, Librarian, Clifton Middle School, Clifton Forge VA

A lap is a terrible thing to waste--adopt a
     pet from your local animal shelter.
                     Spay/Neuter
"Those are my principles.  If you don't like them...
...well, I have others."--Groucho Marx