Colleagues:

This was sent to me by a friend who works in a public library. Enjoy!

I get asked some pretty weird questions at the library, such as . . .

Library Patron:  "I remember back when I was a kid, you used to have this
big red book, you used to keep it over there . . . I don't remember the
title or the author.  Do you still have it?"

My fantasy reply:  "Why, yes, we shelve all the books by color; we have
only about 500 red ones, so it should take us no more than a few hours to
thumb through them all and find the one you want . . .
provided we still have it."

Library Patron (Kid):  "Do you have any books that show you how to paint
graffitti?"

My real reply:  "Uh, no.  Defacing other people's property is against the
law."  I finally made him happy by finding an art book that discussed
airbrush painting techniques.

One of my all-time favorites was when a retired gentleman came in and asked
to look at the do-it-yourself divorce forms.  I showed him what we had
available, and advised him that he would have to evaluate the forms himself
and decide what he needed, as we don't, of course, offer any legal
advice..  He busied himself with this for about an hour, then decided what
he wanted and asked how he could get copies.  I showed him where our copy
machines are located and told him the charge
was $.10 per page.  He hemmed and hawed, and finally asked if I would make
the copies for him. "I just don't understand copy machines very well."

Well, I did it, but I had to wonder about the guy.  He is willing to try to
prepare his own documents for a legal divorce, but using a self-serve copy
machine is too mentally taxing?

David Lininger, kb0zke
LMS, Hickory County R-1 Schools
Urbana, MO 65767