Thanks to all who responded to my query for literature about mistreatment of
animals. Here are the sugggestions (minus a poem about which I had copyright
concerns).
Charlie Reed-Mundell
Librarian, Sunbeam School
Cleveland, Ohio

You didn't mention an age / reading level but the one that came quickly to mind is
Wringer by Jerry Spinelli

Phyllis Reynolds Naylor, Shiloh

I don't remember the author, but a great one is Hey, Little Ant in
which a boy is ready to stomp on an ant, but the ant makes him stop
and think about what he's doing.

Badger in the basement
Baglio, Ben M. - Scholastic, New York : 1998. (-Fic-)

Abandoned puppy
Costello, Emily. - Avon, New York : c1999. (-Fic-)

Goose's story
Best, Cari. - Farrar, Straus and Giroux, New York : 2002. (-E-)

Black Beauty popped into my mind.
This is a huge concern of Peg's (Peg Kehret).  She just received an award from the
Humane Society for Saving Lilly about the mistreatment of circus elephants.  She
has another book dealing with the mistreatment of bears. She also wrote Shelter
Dogs about animals who were rescued from the Humane Society for a better life. She
is a real advocate for animals, and is even a vegetarian!

The Faithful Elephants, about a Japanese zoo incident during WWII -- can't remember
the author right now.

How about _Beautiful Joe_ by Saunders? It may be old, but talks about the
mistreatment of animals by unthinking or cruel children and adults.

The one-eyed cat_ by Fox(?) about shooting out the eye of a roaming cat and the
boy's guilt.

the classic, Black Beauty by Sewell.

Good bye, My Lady_ by Streeter (?)

How about Martha Walks the Dog by Medaugh.

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the
convenience of buying online with Shop@Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/