Barbara,

I also do Scholastic book fairs. But, before the books are delivered, I call
and tell my sales rep I need A LOT of books. I have 600 kids, and I do the
book fair during conference week, so I get a lot of traffic. No one wants to
come to a book fair that looks empty. This request got me upgraded to a
higher level book fair (did you know there are different levels?)
I call on Monday and thru out the week to order more books. Order lots.
Scholastic doesn't care - you are going to send the unsold ones back,
anyway. They can be ordered by specific title or by type of book (easy
chapter books, etc. )
If the book fair shows up and you aren't happy get on the phone and call
your sales rep. They will have a bigger profit if you sell more books, so
they want you to be happy. Or they should!

And if your sales rep isn't helpful, skip the next book fair and do a hoagie
sale or something else! No one said you have to sell books!

Now my mind is wondering to all those creative things you wonderful people
could think of to sell. Dawn will sell cat toys. Earl will sell those little
Hawaiian dolls that sit on the back shelf in a car, shaking their hips as we
drive along. And Barbara in Australia will sell toy kangaroos and koalas.

Oh, what fun!

By the way, this morning I posted the web site for Usborne books. I am a
part time sales rep. The company is designed to do most of their sales thru
home shows, like Tupperware, but some sales reps do book fairs, too.  You
can find a sales rep in your area at. http://www.ubah.com

Karen DeFrank. LMS
Bullock School
Glassboro, NJ 08208