Here are some more ideas ...

Shannon Minner
smm2p@mtsu.edu
Murfreesboro, TN

Each of my 1st and 2nd graders (and I have 6 sections of each) has a 2 1/2 x 9
inch bookmark which doubles as a shelfmarker with their names on. They are
passed out each class by me until the point of the year came where I felt I
knew at least half the kids name in each section. After that point, I put them
on a table for them to pick up each class period. We use a Follett
circ system so each student has an assigned barcode kept in our file, and the
clerk just needs to see the kids' last name in order to check out their books.
I keep them rubberbanded together by class & pop them in an old magazine box
until their next visit. This system really helps me to know names (which I'm
terrible with) and I see a LOT of students each week! Last year was my first
year - I'm hoping that by doing this again another year, I'll know a majority
of their names by next year. I didn't do this with third graders, and I know
fewer kids by name from this grade.
--------------
Here's what I've been doing to learn the first names of the incoming fifth
graders in my 5 - 8 middle school. Each time they come in, I go over their
first names (using a class list) as I try to imprint the face that goes with
the name in my memory. Then I put down the list and go around the group,
saying their names, kind of making a game of it and telling them how much they
are helping me. At the end of my story to them, I dismiss them to go choose
books by calling each one's name. I may have to repeat this each time they
come for a long time, but eventually I know their names and can continue to
know them for the four years they're with us.
---------------
When I was in my k-2 school and the kids always sat at tables, (there was no
room for sitting on the floor), I made seating charts and simply kept it with
me. I sat on a bar stool (with a back) so that I sat higher than the students
- easier control that way. I also have always checked out the kids' books - it
reinforces the names. The classes in which I have a volunteer check out the
books are the classes that I haven't learned yet.

Especially in a k-2 school, you can play name games with the kids. I also will
look at a boy and say "oh, you must be Jenny!" He gets all giggly and says,
"No! I'm Michael!"

I also alphabetize the names in my book that I use for checkout by first name,
because I want to learn the first names - the last names will come and seem to
be somewhat easier to remember - I guess because they are more unique.
----------------
The very first day my classes come to the library, I take a group picture of
each class. Then I get with the teacher and fill in the names under each
person. Then I study, study, study each picture before that particular class
comes in. It has been very helpful for me!
----------------
One tip I heard from an old pro was just to learn 4 names a day. Often, the
teachers will have kids in name tags the first few days of school anyway, so
that helps, and if you keep repeating them they eventually "stick." I'm having
enough trouble just learning the other teachers' names in my new (K-5, 500
kids) school! Our automation system requires logging in last names to pull up
patron records before checking out books, so I ask each child to spell his/her
last name and then I repeat the first name to him/her to check, and then use
it 2 or 3 times before handing over the checked-out book. We also have to eat
lunch with classes the first couple weeks of school, so I make sure the kids
tell me their names while we're having lunch. Better check to see if your
school requires uniforms - mine does, and that really puts a wrinkle in it -
you can't tell them apart by clothes!
-----------------
Two suggestions - ask teachers to send kids with nametags on the first few
weeks. Most teachers start the year using them anyway. Also, make class rolls
and call roll each week before you start the lesson. K-2=92s love that. When I
forget to call their names, they always remind me. They like to answer in
funny ways too so you could come up with a list of ways to answer - colors,
holiday sayings, book titles, etc. to make it fun for them. I have a carpet
with colored squares so I ask kids to sit on the same square the first few
weeks so I can learn names. Be sure to have them raise their hands as they
answer, not just call out - so you can put faces with names.
-----------------
I recommend a picture book Mary Wore A Red Dress by Mary(?) Peek.  At the end
of the story, there is a suggestion in the back of the book that I use where
the students sing abou t who is wearing what.
-----------------
My new school will be K-5 and one thing I plan on doing with Kindergarten
(they don't start Media till October) is sending them a class letter the week
before they come in to let them know how glad I am that they will be coming
into the Media Center, and to ask them if they would make name tags to help me
remember their names. (This is assuming the Kindergarten teacher OK's this
idea ahead of time). I will have tables for the other grades and plan on using
assigned seating to help me remember who is who.
-----------------
I take a copy of our middle school yearbook home with me and learn, or
re-learn names over the summer. It makes a big difference. At least then I
only have to learn the new fifth graders names and faces.
----------------
I called the roll every time the students came in until I learned their names.
The other thing I did was the school has a yearbook, so I looked over the
pictures to help me learn the names. If your school doesn't have a yearbook,
they might have class pictures on file, and that would at least help you with
grades 1 & 2.

I think your nametag idea is a good one because it will speed up learning the
names PLUS you'll be able to refer to the students by name every time you talk
to them. I don't know if you've taught before, but being able to correctly
refer to the children by name really cuts down on discipline problems. I think
it may well be worth the time and trouble to pass the nametags out--you
probably won't have to do it too many times before you know the names.
---------------
Some possibilities...do the diecut necklace thing, but have the TEACHER keep
them and hand them out before the kids come each time, or get stick-on name
labels and have the kids stick them on their shirts. The kids could write 1st
names. You could print out labels with just names, first and last in block
letters, though writing the names by hand would process the information more
for you and start the learning process. Seating charts can also work, though
it's difficult with no tables. Some computer checkout programs have the
capability to input kids' school pictures in.
---------------
Visit them in their rooms where they often have names on their desk.
Secretaries often have extra photos for school records.  These have names on
the edge.
---------------
I have a friend who is the librarian in a K-6 school with a population of
about 650.  Her library is automated.  She has begged paint stirrers from
every paint store in town.  She writes the student's name (and last initial if
necessary) and the student's code number on the "stir" end.  She keeps them
bundled by class.  Before the class arrives, she pulls the sticks for students
who have not returned their books.  She calls out their names from the sticks,
a few at a time.  The students also use these sticks to mark the place in a
shelf where they have removed a book.  If they want a different book, they
know where to return it.  If they want that book, they pull their stick from
the shelf and bring it and the book to the desk for check out.
    I have subbed for her on several occasions and this helps when you don't
know their names.  It's fun when the Kindergarteners are learning how to spell
their names.  She just holds their sticks up and they come to get them when
they recognize their name.
    When a class promotes out of the school, she recycles the sticks by
putting mailing labels over the old name.
In the past, I have taken pictures of each class at the beginning of school. I
then write the names of each student underneath the picture. I study each
picture to learn their names, and I review the class photo before they come to
the library. It works well with a digital camera because you don't have to pay
for developing, it is quick, and there is space on the page to write names.