I do the same thing, except for the barcode. We have student IDs, which I
keep in my circ book. each id has their name, picture and barcode on it. I
arrange the ids by day of the week, then class (the order the classes come
into the library) and then alphabetical. Each page in my book holds 10 Id
cards. A double page holds 20.  I open the page so that all 20 cards for a
class are viewable. I ask the students to point to their picture, and then I
scan the card, look at the computer and say their name. This is important,
because 83% of our school has English as a second language. I may have 6 or
more Juan Martines in my school. It is critical, especially after school,
that I have the right one. This system makes it very easy for subs too. No
thinking involved.
Karen Tukua LMT
Cambridge Elementary
Concord, CA