Greetings,

I gave up trying to get someone from BC at the White House event, but I'm
still hoping that we can organize a similar event for Canada. Conditions
vary from province to province and as a whole they aren't great. We had
good staffing levels for Teacher-librarians here in B.C. until the
government removed all the language about non enrolling teachers this
winter. Chilliwack still has strong T-L times in most of our schools, but I
was appalled last week to find out that a teacher, with no diploma in
Library Education or library courses, is being moved into a 60% library
position in one of our largest elementary schools. I've been told we can't
grieve this because the district has to down size due to budget
constraints. This is apparently happening in other districts as well. At
the same time, we have teachers who have just attended  graduation
ceremonies for their Diplomas in Library Education. What do we tell these
people? How can we stop this from happening?

I've written a letter to our Minister of Education and sent copies to our
local MLAs, our superintendent, CTA president and the Trustee chair for our
local school board. I told them about some of the cuts that are happening,
and my thoughts about the library being the heart of the school and the
role of the Teacher-librarian. I also told them about the meeting at the
White House and suggested that Christy Clark, our Minister of Eduction
arrange a similar event for Canada. Well, I can dream can't I?

I feel we need to start a massive campaign to let parents know what is
happening and the implications to their children. I want action now!
Randi

Randi Louise Hermans
Teacher-librarian
East Chilliwack Elementary K-6