For those of you who wish to read the offensive article it is online at
http://www.dailybruin.ucla.edu/db/articles.asp?ID=18860

Some quotes to make your blood boil .....

 "As far as I can remember, every librarian with whom I have ever come in
contact has been a socially inept housewife who needs a little extra income
to help out around the homestead. ....

"Other than an uncanny ability to impede potential hoopla and merrymaking, I
don't understand why these overzealous school marms need to attend a
professional school, and thus be equated with scientists, doctors and
lawyers. I don't even think you need a GED to successfully put books on
shelves. Hell, a properly trained monkey with a fancy hat could probably do
that. ...

" I can't imagine the Dewey Decimal System taking more than a day to master.
And what then? How to requisition books and donations from private
institutions without annoying people? That's another day at most. Come on,
what could be the most serious issue facing a librarian? .....

"They could just take one of those mail-in courses, couldn't they? They
could pick up gun repair while they're at it. Now that's a skill. .....

Sony Barari

In his/her  'apology' at
http://www.lisnews.com/article.php3?sid=20020308125444&mode=flat (Post #4)
he tries to make out that it was comic piece and that he/she "actually did
take the time to research the profession, and understand that it is indeed a
valuable institution to our society" yet the opening para of the article
states  "Now, without bothering to actually research the program ..."

This person is a  fourth-year molecular, cell and developmental biology
student - would it be defamatory to suggest that some of his/her molecules
and cells need to be developed????

Quite a few of us have already taken him/her  to task but I hope that
someone who works at the university shows his opinion to his campus
librarian and he/she really gives him a bit of "service" by telling him to
serve himself .... because in the meantime he/she is probably having a great
laugh at the hornets nest he/she has provoked.  Let him/her get stung ...

Kia ora
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian