I am a former teacher who began studying full time this fall to become a
librarian and I just wanted to give you an opinion from the teacher
standpoint.  I had a wonderful librarian who worked with all the teachers as
much as she could.  In fact she was one of the people to encourage me the
most in my pursuit of this degree.  Her policy was to let the teachers check
out as much as they wanted for their classrooms for as long as they needed
them.  She also had a policy of not worrying about those lost books that the
teacher checked out.  No matter how much I offered to pay for replacing any
book I lost she would not hear about it.  Because of this policy I strove
harder as a teacher to try to return the books in a more timely manner so
others could use them.  I guess that what I am saying, is it is up to the
librarian how the media center is run.  After all it is you the librarian who
has to maintain the volumes on the selves and keep track of everything that
goes in and out the doors.  Believe me no matter what your policy is, most
teachers are willing to work with you to ensure that you have the best
resources available to everyone.

Charlene McDonnough
Student College of Library and Information Science
University of South Carolina
Florence SC