A week ago I posted a request for information about the use of palm pilots
by students for educational purposes.  My original posting follows a summary
of the one response I did receive.

One school is piloting there use with their 125 sixth graders.  The school
purchased the Palm m125s and will provide them for the students' use for the
school year.  Parents must attend an informational meeting before the
handhelds can go home.  The Palms come with a version of Documents to Go.
The school also purchased PrintBoy so students can print directly from the
handheld and Scantron Classroom Wizard (this software beams a test to the
students palm, they take the test, beam it back and it can be instantly
graded).  The school also ordered a classroom set of keyboards.  Also
purchased were water testing probes to participate in a water quality
project; c-pens, a tiny scanner, that scans text that can be beamed to the
palm.  Planned uses include word processing, data collector, organizer, etc.

This is apparently a hot topic if anyone is looking for a possible research
topic.

Websites to check out:  www.hi-ce.org     www.eschoolnews.com
www.education-world.com    www.mpsomaha.org/willow/p5/handhelds/index.html
There appears to be quite a bit of free educational software available to
download.

Original posting:
I am interested in the use of palm pilots/PDA's by students in the
classroom.  If your school has students using PDA's in the classroom could
you please provide me with some of the details?

1.  Grade levels using PDA's
2.  Subjects/classes in which they are used
3.  Types of activities for which they are used
4.  Software used
5.  Does school provide each student one or are the students required to buy
them
6.  What brand used
7.  Anything else you would like to add.

I searched the archives for information on PDA's, most of the targets and
hits were for staff use not student use.  eSchool News has also provided
several articles on schools piloting the use of PDA's by students.

Thank you for any help with this topic.
Kathy Grout
University of Northern Iowa MLS student
Newton, Iowa