Dear Colleagues:

I am wanting to know if anyone can help me -- a small library to whom I
act as consultant (about 9, 500 books, mostly published in US) wants to
know the steps that they need to think about in order to succesfully
automate their library. They will be purchasing the ATHENA system
(SAGEBRUSH COMPANY, merged with WINNEBAGO) so ATHENA or WINNEBAGO users
will be particularly helpful, but the question is really much more
generic than that.

THe library wanted a series of steps that they need to do to successfully
prepare for automation -- what to do specifically in other words.
Automation is not magic -- it takes a lot of work to prepare for it
successfully. So, with that in mind, I would specifically be interested
in hearing from anyone who has already automated their library -- who can
give me real world experience -- lessons learned -- what they wished they
did differently, 20 steps to be aware of -- I don't need anything
complex, please, just basic steps, guidelines, ideas, what you might have
done differently or more efficiently if you had a chance to prepare for
automation all over again.

Again, this is NOT a software specific question at all -- just real world
guidelines to get ready to automate a small library.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Ideally, the responses from small public libraries or larger school
libraries or international school libaries would be the msot logical
chocies for me to hear from....but anybody else who has experience to
share, please do so...thanks!

Again, this is not about the automation process per se, this is getting
the library ready to automate -- all the steps involved. Thanks.
--
  Stephen Perry
E-MAIL:  perrystephen@fastmail.fm

Stephen Perry, IRO,

RESIDENTIAL ADDRESS: 3046 Godoy Cruz, 15th FLOOR, RIO, TORRE 2,  Barrio
Palermo

OFFICE PHONE: 54-11-5777-4832

HOME PHONE: 54-11-4775-1392

CELL PHONE: 155-060-6160

NOTE: 54 is the area code for ARGENTINA while 11 is the city code for
Buenos AIRES.

BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA, SOUTH AMERICA

ACTUAL MAILING ADDRESS FOR PACKAGES AND LETTERS:
c/o STEPHEN PERRY, IRC, AMEMBASSY UNIT, APO 4330, APO AA 34034-0001 (do
not/not use residential address for mailing)