I once worked at a school that had a policy against any "personal items"
such as small coffee makers, radios, microwaves, etc.; however, most
everyone ignored the policy because the office personnel had a small
refrigerator in their area, three coffee makers were in three different
areas inside the office, and the financial manager had his radio tuned into
Rush Limbaugh most of the time for everyone to hear--- as a result, I am now
a "talk radio" person.  (They also had air conditioning units in their
windows that they used when the main system went down and the rest of us---
especially those on the 6th floor in the library were sweating--- but that's
another story....)

Most of us followed the policy initially, but after seeing the refrigerator
in their office and having to basically fight one another to get food or
drinks from one area during our lunch or break times, we finally figured it
was better to ask for forgiveness than permission--so we all brought our
own.

I would definitely consider asking those who are affected (teachers only?)
if they would review other areas to see if the school administration is
following "codes" for safety, rising costs of energy, etc.  For example, are
all products used to clean the school safely locked away from students?  How
about those in the classrooms?  Is the school cutting down in outmoded
technology or machinery that wastes energy?  Are all areas of the school
up-to-code when it comes to the fire code issues (unless the electricity is
outdated, then I see nothing wrong with plugging in a small microwave in an
area where several teachers could use it for a quick lunch).

Sometimes there are excuses made...and then sometimes there are real
reasons.  Maybe I'm skeptical, but it sounds a lot like a school where I
once worked and it was the old "Animal Farm" concept...."all animals are
equal but some are more equal than others..."  Hopefully some aren't being
allowed to use items while the rest are in the trenches....and barely
scraping by!

Good luck!

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian