Dear LMNET Community,

Sorry for this late hit.  It’s the day after Christmas, thus I have time
to post one!  Thanks
to everyone who sent information regarding the appropriateness of Clive
Cussler’s Dirk
Pitt series and the Dune series for middle school.  Based on the
majority of the responses,
I’m hearing that all of the books in question are appropriate for Middle
Schoolers.  I plan
to put them in my collection.  (I’ll start with a few of the full-blown
Cussler titles first.)
Below I’ve listed some individual concerns, suggestions or pieces of
pertinent information
received from the list.  They were all so good I included most of them
with a little editing:

   * (Dirk Pitt series)  “It can be violent, but I do not feel it is
     needlessly so.  Most of it centers around oceanographic mysteries
     and adventures.  Many of these mysteries do involve terrorist
     attempts to recover weapons from sunken submarines or people trying
     to pilfer artifacts from old shipwrecks, etc, etc.  The books main
     characters make several references to the benefits of education and
     scientific research.  Many of the situations they are involved in
     involve in depth knowledge of physics and chemistry as applied to
     things like underwater welding, lifting large underwater
     objects,dangerous wreck diving, and much more.”
   * “Cussler’s books also are available in a "young adult edition" that
     trims a little of the violence and adult humor.  “They are often
     available through Scholastic.”
   * I would not recommend the regular set of these books for this age
     group (due to the promiscuous material). However, there is a young
     adult version of some titles that are ok (cleaned up). These books
     are quite popular with our middle school boys.
   * If your boys are interested in these types of books (mystery with
     adventure), I would highly recommend the Finnegan Zwake mystery
     series by Michael Dahl. I can't keepthem on the shelves!
   * I read Dirk Pitt  and I do not remember any sex other than
     occasional, the same kind of thing you would see in Indiana Jones
     movies.  However there is violence and suspense.
   * I have read the Dune series... excellent science fiction.. Frank
     Herbert is a master Cussler is fine.  Pitt is adventurous, so lots
     of action.  Some blood as they  get themselves out of situations
     sometimes but no killing for killings sake.   AND no language.
     What could be better in an adult book that a kid would like?
   * I re-read the DUNE series often, but again the philosophical
     musings may be more sophisticated than middle school readers will
     pursue.
   * I have read several of the Dune books and our collection contains
     at least 5 of them. I'd say they are appropriate for upper middle
     grades and up.  Frankly, I don't think they are attractive to
     younger readers due to their length, complicated story line and
     relatively slow pacing.  We do have a few students who have worked
     their way through the series.
   * We have both in our library.  The better readers like them.  also,
     Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card is an excellent addition.
   * All the stories involve underwater explorations/rescues and
     adventure.  Dirk collects classic cars.  Dirk Pitt is the main
     character with several other consistent characters.  He has a
     girlfriend, but there are no "sex" scenes per se.  Language is
     appropriate.
   * I am an adventure/mystery reader, my husband is a sci-fi reader.
     We both LOVE Cussler's books.  You might want to check one out of
     the library over the winter break and try it.  They do not have to
     be read in order, but there are occasional references made to a
     previous story, but you do not have to know the story to read the
     newer one.
   * Cussler has started writing himself into the stories.  Dirk Pitt
     crosses paths with someone named Clive Cussler - much like Alfred
     Hitchcock made a cameo appearance in some of his old films.
   * I can recommend Clive Cussler books as appropriate for the Middle
     School.  I have several in my collection.  I have been a Clive
     Cussler fan since my high school days and have read every one of
     his books. Dune is classic sci fi, and I have had it on the shelf
     5-8 for years. It is not heavily read, but belongs there.

Thanks again!

Karen Puckett
North Rowan Middle School
Spencer, NC