And hopefully (for the optimizer's financial well being, if nothing else)
they know that Google uses page ranking as ONE of the many pieces in their
ranking algorithm. And that other engines use other methods (meaning if you
are optimizing for Google, you may not be optimizing for vivisimo, etc). And
that the algorithm changes periodically (actually ongoing changes and
experiments, then announcements, then looking at reactions).

Actually, a bit of reading about optimizing brings up many references that
proper metatagging, keywords, and body content are at least as important as
page rank, even in Google. Not to mention that certain kinds of linking is
looked at as the equivalent of spamming.

Then need to realize that certain segments of the public use other engines.
So an optimizer optimizing only for Google may not be serving their client's
best interests. Then ask the optimizer about Goggle's changes in reference
to Florida or the 'Google Dance'. (leading causes of the 'I found this page
before, now I can't' syndrome')

When I go through the hierarchy of searching with my MS kids, we talk about
how SE works and what purpose they define  as their goal. That brings us to
how that effects their search results. Then we discuss the importance of
having some solid background information from reliable resources in hand in
order to make sense of what the search engine tosses back.

And then hope, at least for the 8 yr old's sake, that the teacher really
didn't send the kids home to 'go search internet for information about MLK'.

Robert Eiffert, Librarian
Pacific Middle School
Evergreen SD 114 Vancouver WA
beiffert@egreen.wednet.edu