A second grade girl came up to me yesterday and asked if I had any
books on MRIs.  I asked for clarification, not sure I had heard it
right.  She said she was going to have one and wanted to find out
about it, hoping that would make her less scared of it.  She said,
"If I'm scared, they'll give me a go-to-sleep shot.  I hate shots, so
I want to learn about it so I'll not be so scared."  Wow!  Talk about
practical uses for information!

Fortunately I found a book at her level about hospitals that
described MRIs.  But it brought home to me how important it is to
keep letting the kids know that a library is a place where you can
get information on anything you might need to know.   And how
important it is to try to anticipate what that might be.

Every year I talk about the section I call "Family" that includes new
babies, adoption, divorce and step-families, illness and death and
other similar family events.  Every time I do it, at least two or
three children make a bee-line for the section.

I have Eric Needs Stitches (unfortunately OOP) that is about a boy
falling off his bike and going to the ER to get stitches.  Does
anyone know of good books that describe other medical procedures?  It
was more or less luck that I had one that helped the girl with the
MRI.  I'll put together a hit if requested.

Johanna