Hi. I'm hoping someone will have had a similar problem or knows a lot about
Windows 2000. We'd greatly appreciate some help from a techie LM_Netter out
there!

We have a CD-ROM (language arts program) which gives us "Error - 34 Can't
find C:\\USERNAMW~1\LOCALS~1\TEMP" when we try to start it up on some (but
not all!) Windows 2000 systems. The program plays fine on Windows 95, 98 and
XP, and on SOME Windows 2000 systems. In addition, on one machine in our
building we get the error message, but if we click OK the program will work
fine anyway. But in another building they get the error on all machines and
then the program will not work (audio problems).

According to the company, the program tries to write some files to the TEMP
folder when it opens. On the machines on which the program works, we can see
these files while the program is running. They appear in the C:\Documents
and Settings\USERNAME\Local Settings\Temp\ folder in a folder called Xtras.
Then they disappear when we close the program.

It seems as if something in the way some of these systems are set up will
not let the program write files to the Temp folder, or tries to write them
to the wrong location. (The error message shows two \\ instead of one, don't
know if that is significant.)

I'm hoping someone out there might have found a solution to this problem or
a workaround? Such as somehow changing the settings on the system so it can
allow those files to be written to the correct Temp folder? Or possibly even
manually copying the Xtras files into a Temp folder somewhere else which
might allow the program to run anyway?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!

Peggy

Peggy Garties
Multimedia Analyst
Wisconsin Educational Communications Board
608/264-9759
pgarties@ecb.state.wi.us