Hi folks
I am following this thread with interest because there are few primary
(elementary) teacher-librarians in Australia who have the luxury of a
flexible schedule, yet we are expected to teach information literacy as the
core of our fixed schedule classes (usually while teachers have their
release from face-to-face teaching for planning.)

There are a number of ways to do this, especially if you have a sound
knowledge of what InfoLit involves (have a look at
http://www.palmdps.act.edu.au/resource_centre/info_lit/infolit.htm )includin
1. complete collaboration with a teacher in the planning of a unit so that
you teach the InfoLit aspects of a topic that is being taught in the
classroom - eg if the class theme is Australian Animals you would teach the
location/selection/organisation aspects of the information-gathering process
2. partial collaboration where you teach a parallel topic that focuses on
the InfoLit processes - eg if the classroom topic is Antarctica you might
work on Antarctic wildlife so the kids learn the InfoLit processes in a
context that fits in with the overall theme
3. work independently of the teacher, offering a completely different
context but still having the InfoLit processes as the key outcomes

The key thing is to work out FIRST the essential learning that the students
should take away with them - what is it that they will learn from that
lesson that they will be able to apply in other situations at other times.
When you have established your goal, then plan how you will achieve it.
This becomes really easy once you switch your thinking to process-oriented
learning, rather than product.  It doesn't matter really if they learn to
search the OPAC or the Internet for parrots, penguins or partridges as long
as they know how to conduct a search using appropriate keywords.

You can also adjust the same strategies to work for K-6.  I get my very
little ones to "use the clues" in a storybook illustration to make
predictions about what will happen next in the same way as I get the Yr 6
kids to look at a picture of a giraffe and make predictions about its
habitat and habits - then we read to confirm the predictions.

That said, I would recommend that you look at http://www.capraryan.com.au
especially their ILPO Book
ILPO P/K-7 Hard Copy (Information Literacy Planning Overview)
Revised Edition, Disk Included
ISBN:0-9586340-1-7
Pages:70.
Price (Aus$):50 + 10% G.S.T.

Naturally, the preferred option is to have a flexible schedule and work
collaboratively with a teacher and this is something to work towards - there
are many messages in the archives about how this can be achieved over time,
but in the short term, look to what is achievable and demonstrable now.

Good luck
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher-Librarian