LM_NET members,

As an LM_NET Hospitality Committee member, I am asking that you be careful
when replying to a message so you don't make the sender feel humiliated or
embarrassed by your reply.  LM_NET members write to the list when confronted
with situations in which they need help and such replies may turn them off
completely.  We are all on the list to help each other.

This morning I sent a message concerning my computer turning on by itself
during a power surge.  One of the replies that I received made me feel,
putting it mildly, stupid and wishing I had never asked for advice.  I have
worked with computers for 20 years and yes, I do know the difference between
a power strip and a surge protector.  I wrote the message because I felt
that among our vast number of LM_NET members, someone might be able to help
me out (and yes, I have received good suggestions from several).  I started
to reply to the sender of the message and decided that it would be a waste
of my time since the member seemed to have trouble interpreting my message
the way I meant it to come across.

Remember that email has no expression and as we are from all parts of the
world, phrases that might seem all right in one location can be very
insulting to a reader from another.  If a question is not clear, a member
should contact the writer and get clarification before sending a reply that
may be misunderstood or misinterpreted.

We are not on this list to insult each other but rather to make suggestions
and offer help whenever someone needs it.  I have been on this list for 9
years and have benefited greatly from the help of everyone.  I have been a
librarian for 20+ years and feel that I am in a position to offer advice to
those asking for it.  We need to remember that we are adding new members
every hour and  we need to answer in a courteous manner.  We do not want to
lose those new members who need our help.  Please remember that we are here
to help, not criticize.

Sincerely,
Madeline L. Buchanan
LM_NET Hospitality Committee