Okay, this is just too cool, so I had to share.  If you've already been
here, just ignore this....if you're new or haven't seen this, you might be
interested.

I went to a workshop today and we were discussing Big6.  During that time,
we discussed using the Internet and how we can direct students to the
"directories" that are offered through such search engines as "Google."

Here's what I discovered that could be useful to you:

1.  Go to a Google search.  http://www.google.com
2.  On the right-hand side of the search bar you will see in tiny letters
the words "Advanced Search"  "Preference" and "Language Tools"
3.  Click on  "Advanced Search"....(this is NOT the resource that I
discovered, but if you haven't used this, it's cool).
4.  Scroll down on the Advanced Search page until you find the
"blue-outlined box" that is titled:  Topic-Specific Searches.
5.  Click on the topic  "Catalogs"---
6. From this subject / topic index you will find various topics listed
alphabetically...
7.  Choose "Education"
8.  You will then be directed to various "educational catalogs".  Each
catalog is a digitalized product that you can use online--as if you are
browsing a regular print catalog.

Of course, there are other catalogs listed that are not education-related.
I thought that this was just a great resource for me because I often have
catalogs "missing" or find that a teacher needs a resource from a catalog
that I just tossed out.  (I also noticed that the Library Story catalog is
listed here in full-color, online!)

This is a way for me to share some resources with my faculty (not all
catalogs for education are on this website directory...but there is a
"request a catalog" listing that they offer, if you'd like to see one of
your favorites online full-text / digitalized.)

And just another note:  Because my husband is a visual itinerant teacher
(works with blind students), I am familiar with the resources that he uses.
I noticed that the American Printing House for the Blind has their catalog
listed with this group of Educational Catalogs.  I showed this directory
resource to him, along with the APH catalog listing, and he is delighted to
know that he can now share with some of his regular classroom teachers,  an
online source where they can "browse" the catalog online page by page until
their print catalog (of 900+ pages) arrives!

Just thought I'd share this resource with those of you who haven't
discovered it yet.  (And I know that Yahoo has the same things...it's just
that I haven't had the free time to browse through all those little
hyperlinks that I see on search engines.  Now I know! DUH...I feel so dumb
sometimes!)

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX