I am taking an online class from Penn State Univ., PA and our assignment
is to collaborate with professionals to modify a lesson plan we have
searched for.  If anyone is still out there this summer, could you
please give me input on how you would modify and improve this lesson
plan I found on the Gateway to Ed Materials.  This  will be for
secondary students.  I appreciate any time and trouble you take to do
this, it is very to get yourself to think in the summer, I know.  Thank
you in advance.  Here is the lesson(I hope too much html doesn't show
up, my mail processor wouldn't paste with no formatting.

    A Guided Tour

TABLE OF CONTENTS
Lesson Plan <#LessonPlan>
Materials <#Materials>

      Lesson Plan

    *

      *Unit Topic or Theme: *An introduction to more effective use of
      the Internet

    *

      *Grade:* 3-6

    *

      *Lesson Topic or Theme*: Pre-Assessment

    *

      *Lesson Objectives:* Students, after a 15-40 min. introduction to
      the Internet, will be able to:

         1. verbally describe at least one difference between
            information found on the Internet and information found in a
            book.
         2. demonstrate abilities in Internet navigation including
            forward-backward, scrolling, selecting from bookmarks, &
            recognizing links.
         3. verbally evaluate whether the Chihuahua Pharaoh website
            presents truthful information.
    *

      *Instructional Technique:* Demonstration, WWW navigation, question
      & answer.

    * *Instructional Materials:*

            Computer with Internet access.

            Website bookmarks:

                +

                  Pages through the Ages: Oak View Elementary
                  (http://oakview.fcps.edu/~harris/96-97/agespages/egypt/egypt.html

<http://oakview.fcps.edu/%7Eharris/96-97/agespages/egypt/egypt.html>)

                +

                  Kings and Queens Menu
                  (http://eyelid.ukonline.co.uk/ancient/k-q-menu.htm)

                +

                  Pyramids and Temples Menu (with Java map)
                  (http://eyelid.ukonline.co.uk/ancient/pyr-temp.htm)

                +

                  The Construction of the Pyramids
                  (http://interoz.com/egypt/construction/construc.htm)

                +

                  NOVA Online/Pyramids -- The Inside Story
                  (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/pyramid)

                +

                  Color Tour of Egypt
                  (http://www.memphis.edu/egypt/egypt.html)

                +

                  The Ancient Egypt Site
                  (http://www.geocities.com/~amenhotep/main.html
                  <http://www.geocities.com/%7Eamenhotep/main.html>)

                +

                  Ancient Egypt, government

(http://oakview.fcps.edu/~harris/96-97/agespages/egypt/government-egypt.html

<http://oakview.fcps.edu/%7Eharris/96-97/agespages/egypt/government-egypt.html>)

                +

                  NW Regional Ed Lab

(http://www.nwrel.org/sky/Classroom/Social_Studies/Multicultural/Egypt.html)

                +

                  The Institute of Egyptian Art and Archaeology
                  (http://www.memst.edu/egypt/main.html)

                +

                  NM's Creative Impulse..Egypt
                  (http://history.evansville.net/egypt.html)

                +

                  Egypt - Guardian's Egypt - Main Gate
                  (http://guardians.net/egypt/)

                +

                  Ancient Egypt Webquest
                  (http://users.massed.net/~mdurant/AncientEgyptWebquest.htm
                  <http://users.massed.net/%7Emdurant/AncientEgyptWebquest.htm>)

    *

      *Theoretical Perspective:* More and more schools are providing
      their students access to the Internet. While some students have
      the skills needed to manipulate this media, others are either not
      aware of or need assistance in finding what is available on the
      Internet. Schools must, therefore, help provide all students with
      the basic skills needed to find and utilize information on the
      Internet. This pre-assessment lesson is developed to help teachers
      better determine the Internet skill level of each student as well
      as to provide time for each student to learn basic computer skills
      need to use the Internet.

    *

      *Procedure:*

         1.

            Introductory Activity (Set)
            The teacher will ask students:

                o Who has heard of the Internet?
                o Does anyone know what the Internet is?
            The teacher will describe in basic terms how the Internet is
            made up of lots of computers from around the world talking
            to each other over telephone wires.
         2.

            Step-by-step
            The teacher will begin by showing the students the java map
            of Egypt. Each student will have a chance to see and
            verbalize how using this map is different than using regular
            maps.

            The teacher and students can then choose from the various
            Egypt related websites listed and view what information is
            available. Each student must have a chance to use the mouse
            and "navigate" the World Wide Web to get more comfortable
            with these skills. The teacher should ask questions of
            students to point out how information on the Internet can
            differ from that found in books.

            The teacher will direct students to the Chihuahua Pharaoh
            website. There, students are asked whether they believe this
            site presents truthful information. The teacher and student
            should discuss what is found.

         3.

            Closure
            The teacher will ask students questions about navigating the
            Web. Also, the teacher will ask students if everything they
            find on the Internet is always truthful.

         4.

            Adaptations for different learners
            Spend extra time with those students who have difficulty
            achieving any of the three objectives for the lesson.

    *

      *Questioning Strategy: *
      See procedure above.

    *

      *Evaluation:*
      The objectives will be met if each student is able to point out
      differences between Internet and non-Internet information,
      manipulate the Internet browser, and determine that not all
      information found on the Internet is truthful.

      Materials

    * Lesson plan outline (Microsoft Word <GuidedTour-Outline.doc>, HTML
      <GuidedTour-Outline.html>)
    * Pre-lesson questionnaire (Microsoft Word <GuidedTour-Pre.doc>,
      HTML <GuidedTour-Pre.html>)
    * Bookmarks for Egypt sites(HTML <GuidedTour-Links1.html>)
    * Bookmarks for Egypt & Mexico sites (HTML <GuidedTour-Links2.html>)
    * Post-lesson questionnaire (Microsoft Word <GuidedTour-Post.doc>,
      HTML <GuidedTour-Post.html>)

The Guided Tour was developed by Jamie Callan
<http://www.cs.cmu.edu/%7Ecallan/>, David Raker, Charity Hope, and
Rachel Lewellen.
Send questions or comments to .
Last updated November 30, 1999.
© Copyright 1999, Carnegie Mellon University Language Technologies
Institute. <http://www.lti.cs.umass.edu/>

>Karen Huber, Librarian

Indian Valley High
Mifflin County School District