Hi all,

=20

I would just like to thank all of the LM_NET members who answered my =
plea for help.  I also received requests for a HIT - so here goes:

Again, thank you all - you are truly wonderful.

Ellyn Bewes

ebewes@earthlink.net

Opa-locka Elementary School

Technology Facilitator

=20

what you really need to do is look at the books Linworth publishes =
(www.linworth.com) ; they are all written by working school librarians, =
so there is lots of practical stuff you can use in them!

=20

=20

 I know about "Flip It!" - is it =3D

worth purchasing - or are there any other suggestions for good books for

ideas for teaching library skills? Thank you in advance for your help.

=20

Flip It! is certainly worth purchasing.

=20

=20

You might also be interested in taking a look at another title -- from =
Linworth Publishing as well <http://www.linworth.com>

=20

Literature Frameworks: From Apples to Zoos, 2nd Edition
by Sharron L. McElmeel
Involve PreK-6 students in reading and sharing literature in connection =
with thematic units.

=20

I also forgot a book that is just for K-2 and is perfect for book =
library

skills. It is called The Complete Library Skills by Linda Turrell. It is

very basic but has a lot of cute material for the little kids.

am also in my first year this Sept. and would love if you could forward =
me

your responses that you get. I just purchased from Amazon a few =
resources.

Some may be slightly outdated as far as computer skills and the card =
catalog

but each have some good materials. They are:

=20

Lesson Plans for the Busy Librarian by Joyce Keeling

I-Search, You Search, We all Learn to Research by Donna Duncan and Laura

Lockhart

Information Literacy Toolkit by Jenny Ryan and Steph Capra

=20

I also got Elementary School Librarian's Survival Guide which gives good

ideas for administrative stuff.

Again, I would love to see what people send you!

=20

Flip-It is a wonderful resource for sixth grade and up. I have never =
used it

with lower grades, but it should be adaptable down to at least fourth =
grade.

Dennison also has a set of library skills books that are fairly current =
and

work well with lower elementary grades. They are at school and I'm at =
home

so I can't tell you the name of the set. I believe Demco or Highsmith

carries them. Possibly other library suppliers as well. I used those =
with

second graders last year when I went to elementary for part of the day.

=20

A few years ago I started using some of the library skills programs from =
World Almanac Education Library Services such as "Library Skills" and =
"Exploring the Library."  I've been very pleased with them.  I do an =
intense exploration of the World Almanac with the 6th grade using =
"Finding Fun Facts Fast" reproducibles.  I use another set with 3rd =
grade exploring the Dewey system.   =20

=20

Definitely look at Big6.com. To me it seems a more complete paradigm

than FlipIt as it builds in evaluation. I think more accessible for

elem, especially with the simplified version called Super3.

=20

There is a lot of good stuff at bigchalk, as well as WorldBook, World

Almanac, and Groliers. I used all of them when doing elem.

=20

I would look over the catalogs for Linworth and Libraries Unlimited

also.

=20

Before purchasing books, order then through InterLibrary Loan. Then you =
can

see what is worth getting for your style of teaching.

=20