At 08:22 AM 6/22/2003 -0500, you wrote:
>When I was in undergraduate library school (yes, back then we had an
>undergraudate major in library science), we were taught practical
>information about how to operate a school library.

>time he was asked to teach he had to go to the downtown library where he was
>assigned to teach "conceptual" cataloging instead of the practical methods
>that all of us need.

Your experience parallels mine.  I was lucky in that I had cataloging
classes that did at least some practical work as well as the theoretical
aspects (though our textbook was riddled with errors!)  I am NOT a
proficient cataloger, but of course, in my job, I have to do the work.  I
often wished that I'd had better training earlier on.  We all pick up
knowledge as we go along, but still.....

The idea of a cataloging lab sounds neat!  Just as students learn to write
by writing, so we learn to catalog by.....cataloging <duh!>!

As an aside, I am appalled at the level of preparation (or lack thereof) in
new teachers.  I wonder if the same will happen to people being prepared
for library work?  Anyone out there have contact with newly minted school
librarians?  I have worked with only one recently, and she would not be
representative, as her mother is a school librarian...she grew up in the
business!

Mark Williams
Librarian
Colton High School
Colton, CA  92324
mark_williams@eee.org
"I'll have to admit that he's a very competent scholar."
  "Isn't he just a librarian?" Garion asked, "somebody who looks after books?"
  "That's where all the rest of scholarship starts, Garion.  All the books in
the world won't help you if they're just piled up in a heap." (David
Eddings "King of the Murgos.")