It is policy in our district NOT to charge teachers for lost library books,
however, I do know of those who have disregarded this policy in  cases of
blatant abuse. However, as one member of our group suggested, teachers should
send the CHILDREN to the library for the needed books rather than create mini
libraries in their classrooms. I oppose these classroom libraries because a
teacher checks out books at the beginning of the year, then keeps them for
the ENTIRE year and they are unavailable to others. (One of our teachers
checked out ALL of the patriotic books - American symbols, etc. and NONE of
them were available when the 9-11 anniversary came about or when the war
broke out.) I had not seen this done to the extent that it is done at the
school where I am currently. I do understand the need for teachers to have
books on hand, so, I plan to put a new program in place for next year - 30
books for 30 days. For those who wish to participate, I will check out 30
books for classroom use for 30 days. Then I will pull 30 more books each
month to replace the ones that are returned. They will be picked up and
delivered to the classroom. This will allow the teacher to have books on hand
for students to use at all times, and will also not tie them up for an entire
year in one classroom. In addition, I think the students will appreciate
fresh books. I can tailor the choices in response to seasons, holidays,
current events, and I hope it will result in fewer "lost" books.

Rachel Hinds
Librarian
Burton Elementary
Fresno, Tx