In a message dated 5/17/2003 12:36:39 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
LISTSERV@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU writes:

> Holy Toledo!! $1500???
>
> Can I ask where you get that amount of money? Is it given to you as budget
> money, or do you earn it with your book fairs?

This wasn't addressed to me but I have a few ideas...  First off, our PTO
gives us a huge budget for our Wizards of Words program.  In October, I've
booked Ted and Betsy Lewin for 2500 for the day, Kimberly Willis Holt for
1500, and Margery Cuyler for, I think 1,000.  Is it excessive or worth it?

Yes, I think it is well worth it.  BUT- we get their books to sell at such a
steep  discount (40%) that it offsets the cost of the authors.  Last year,
our book sales paid for all the visits!  REALLY!  (and lunches for the
authors)I've found that the more time I put into making the book order flyer,
the more books we sold.  Many parents buy the books as holiday, communion,
and birthday gifts as well.  (I wrote in the letter that they make the
perfect gift!)  It's a lot of work, but with a great library aide to help and
two PTO moms who are super, it all comes off smoothly.  The kids love the
week and so do the parents.  I do try to book people who match the
curriculum.  One of our authors in October 2001 was Doug Florian.  I have
about 30 copies of his books and they are still checked out all the time
because of his visit.

I also book two years in advance. (Already booked Toni Buzzeo for October
2004- so anyone interested in a NJ visit from her- here's your chance!)

As far as their fee...that can be debated for years to come. But I won't get
into that.

Others venues for money: Your language  arts department.  Ask your
supervisior.  You never know!

Split an appearance with another school and go with a half day visit.

Perhaps the PTO would have a fundraiser specifically for an author visit?

Find newer authors- much cheaper... I booked a new author with one book out
at the time- book became huge.  Got her for 600.  By the time she came, had
three books out, fee doubled.  Now- it has more than tripled in five years.
(Also has 22 books out!)

If a cheaper author lives far away, ask parents if anyone can donate FFMiles.
 You never know.  Hotels (local) will often donate a hotel room.

Just some thoughts!

Lisa Mullarkey
Liberty Corner School,  NJ
Lisamullarkey@aol.com