I guess this would all depend upon the type of kids who are NOT using the
library.  Trying to figure out what the interests of those kids are might
take a survey...which is always fun!

This was my first year at my school and I had to do some thinking about what
it would take to get kids back into the library (since the last librarian
had driven everyone away....)  Aside from the computers (which are a big
draw---but have caused so many problems that we are now restricting Internet
usage), I've done board games, author presentations---when the author stays
all day and talks with kids as they visit (and some come by just to hang-out
with the author and get inspiration), food and "coffee" on special
occasions--to give it a bookstore feel, booktalks / book clubs during
lunchtime (books-sandwiched-in), and some holiday events (for Halloween,
Christmas, Thanksgiving).  I'd like to do more also but for the first year,
I thought it was pretty well received.

I serve approximately 650 students in grades 5-12 and my circulation stats
went from 9,000 items last year to 19,000 this year.  I am just now
finishing my total count for student usage, so I don't have those stats.
The only positive things that I have noticed have been parents who have
stopped by this past week to actually let me know that they thought I had
done a great job this year--their children talk about using the library and
"wished the library would be open during the summer"---can you say "future
summer projects and an increase in salary for that time?"

I was also inspired by the fourth grade class orientation (two weeks ago)
when the lower school librarian brought them over to meet me and allow me to
give them an introduction to the library.  The students went back to the
classroom excited because they would NOW be allowed to check out video tapes
for home! (The lower school librarian doesn't allow it and she now blames me
for corrupting her students!  I told her that they would check out video
tapes--as they do at the public library--for about a month and it would be
"out of their system," then they begin to focus on the other items including
the new books!  It actually gives all of my library materials a "good
work-out" because each grade focuses on a specific area it seems--(5th
grade--videos; 6th grade--all new YA books; 7th grade--computers and YA
books; 8th grade--more of the "adult books / fiction;" 9th grade--literary
criticisms; 10th grade--non-fiction and reference; 11th grade--world
literature and literary criticisms; 12th grade--college level materials,
literary criticisms, computers, and history.)

I'd be interested in knowing what ideas you might come up with regarding
getting students in the library.  (Buying "fun furniture," graphic novels,
and making it a "teen scene" isn't in the administration's scheme of things
right now---we have a "building and grounds committee" that oversees our
"environment."  If it doesn't match, it won't be accepted!  --kinda keeps
the Harry Potter stuff at a minimum! )

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX