Thanks to the prompt responses to my query on how to turn a file into a form
that can be filled out online. The answer is that I have to replace all my
underlined response areas with text boxes. This would have to be done
whether using Adobe Acrobat or Word. It appears that it is also possible to
put a button on the form, with your email address hyperlinked to it so that
the form can be emailed to you. Those wishing to pursue this further are
referred to the online help section of Adobe Acrobat. Note that this product
is not the free download: those looking to purchase should look for
educational pricing in their locale.

Finally, to clear up some confusion in the responses below on why you would
use pdf files (those created by Adobe Acrobat) - it is so that both Mac's
and PC's can view a file, regardless of operating system, program and/or
version.

John Lees

John Lees, Librarian
Mt. Baker Middle School
Auburn, WA  98002
jlees@mx.auburn.wednet.edu <mailto:jlees@mx.auburn.wednet.edu>
253-804-4555

You need to turn that pdf document into a pdf form.
Look for the form tool where you can assign fields
to questions.

The purpose of making a pdf  is so that it cannot be altered.  However if
you want to make and editable form, have  a look at Forms in the Help
section of Word.  You can make them so they have all the fields and drop
down menus and stuff.  I have Word 2000 but you may have a different version
that uses a slightly different method.

Once it's been converted to a .pdf file, it's Read-Only. If you want to have
the form filled out, send it to your colleage(s) as a Word.doc attachment in
your e-mail. They can open in it their Word program, fill it out, and send
it back as an attachment to you on email.

While anyone can download, read, and print a PDF file, it's my understanding
that the full Adobe Acrobat program - that is, the PDF creator software - is
necessary to create PDF files or alter them in any way.  Although this
software is quite expensive commercially (a few hundred dollars Canadian), I
was able to buy an educational version (same package, different licensing)
for under $100.00.  And it's been worth it!  Now I can send files to my
elementary colleagues (who use MACs instead of the IBMs we use in secondary
schools) or to people who don't have the same software programs (for
example, I use Publisher a LOT and not everyone can open these files).
Check the Adobe site <www.adobe.com/products/acrobatstd/main.html> for
product details and check with the IT people in your district regarding
educational suppliers and pricing.  I wound up buying a single use package
for my workstation because this program isn't part of the standard suite
supplied by the board.  I've suggested it be included, especially as we're
not supposed to run anything that's not part of the standard suite, but I'm
not getting anywhere so, for now, I just bought a copy, loaded it myself to
the local machine (not the network), and am quietly using it.  As I said,
it's worth it.

To edit a .pdf file I think you need to own Adobe Acrobat.  Acrobat Reader
is not the full program--only the freebie available to read files.