Here was my question:
>The new fire safety regs have made our school halls look deserted.
>We had to take down everything paper (and our walls were covered with
>student work all the time).  It happened right about the time the
>budget cuts were raining down last spring and, as several people
>pointed out, it was all too literal.  So the principal got a bunch of
>parents with artistic talent to design and paint the walls.
>
>The idea they came up with for the library hall was a huge story book
>with all the kids' favorite story characters coming out of it.  Cute.
>Until someone asked about copyright and I got this sinking feeling
>that I should have remembered about this.  I alerted the artist
>parents yesterday and said I'd check with you all today.  One said
>she would do the characters freehand, not traced.  I said I didn't
>think that would make a difference.  Am I right that we can't have
>Amelia Bedelia, Clifford, Captain Underpants and Swimmy on our walls?
>Is getting permission a remote possibility?

Here's Carol Simpson's answer (with her permission):
>A copy doesn't have to be exact to be considered a copy. As long as
>you are doing characters from books published BEFORE 1923, or
>characters from fairy tales (which are in the public domain in the
>original versions) you are OK. HOWEVER, you can't use Disney
>depictions of fairy tale characters. You need to be creative and
>come up with your own. So the goose that laid the golden egg could
>be painted, but not the MICKEY AND GOOFY version of the goose. Get
>the idea? Same with Snow White, Cinderella, etc.
>
>The characters you  describe are certainly under copyright. Getting
>permission will be a long and perhaps not very productive process.
>
>Carol Simpson
>UNT SLIS

Other suggestions were similar - to paint generic characters (dragon,
princess, unicorn, elf,etc).  I also learned (or relearned, I'd heard
it before) that Disney can be vicious when going after copyright
infringement.  DO NOT use anything can can be construed as a Disney
character.
--
Johanna Halbeisen, Library Media Teacher
Woodland Elementary School (preK-4)