This was a very timely posting.  I get more concerned every year about
the general public's gullibility when it comes to internet information.
My signature quote becomes more of a "mission statement" for me every
day.

Today I received one of those ubiquitous emails.  This one was a list of
"quotes" attributed to John Kerry - making him appear to be a complete
dolt.   Somehow the quotes seemed familiar - but I did not recall them
as being attributed to Kerry.  In the interest of fairness, I did some
research.  According to a number of reputable sources, this list of
quotes is simply a hoax email racing around the internet.  The
statements are NOT Kerry's.  The exact same email is going around
attributing the same list of foolish statements to George W. Bush.  My
research shows that they have also been attributed to Al Gore AND Dan
Quale. (sp??)  So - basically I guess, someone is having a great deal of
fun making them up!!  However - people seem to believe this stuff and
everyday my email has a few more of them.  I enjoy the funny ones that
are meant as jokes - but the ones that pretend to be factual really
disturb me.   As librarians - we really have work to do.

Here is summary of the rumor - which I was able to verify on several
reputable urban ;egend/hoax sites.

 http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/q/quaylisms.htm

Humorous John Kerry Quotes-Fiction!

 Summary of the eRumor
A list of embarrassing quotes from John Kerry or George W. Bush speeches
and interviews.

 The Truth
These quotes have been attributed to a variety of political candidates
but mostly to George W. Bush or John Kerry during the 2004 presidential
election.
They are a part of the political email that gets circulated each year by
people who attach the name of their least favorite politician to them.

Most of the quotes do have a source...former Vice President Dan Quayle
who distinguished himself with some slips of the tongue and odd phrases
here and there.

None of them that we know of is from John Kerry or George W. Bush.

Jacquie

"The Librarian, whose job is to heal ignorance, to keep life safe for
poetry and to put knowledge smack dab in the middle of the American
way."

From The Philadelphia Inquirer, 9-20-03
Jacquie Henry, MLS
Ruben A. Cirillo High School (GHS)