Much of this would depend upon your district's policy regarding books
(school property / state property / tax-payer's property). If you aren't
required to send these books back to the state (to some auction /
distribution / recycling center) for discarding when you remove them
from your library, then you can obviously use them how you want when
you've finished weeding....

...however, many school library administration courses discuss the
matter of discarding materials and equipment AND the fact that the
public views this "disposal" as a slap in the face (why increase the
library's budget for materials when they 'throw perfectly good books /
equipment in the trash?'---never mind that what you're discarding isn't
being used, is outdated, or wouldn't be picked up by a student if you
assignment the subject!).

If generating funds is what is needed, then schedule a bookfair through
Scholastic or another bookfair program.  (OR if you can't have a
bookfair in your library or don't have the help, you can do what I'm
going to be doing in February---hosting a "Barnes and Noble"
bookfair---students and parents get coupons to use at B&N  (there aren't
any discounts for the books BUT...our library will receive a percentage
of the total sales generated from the event).  Parents and students
(teachers, grandparents, neighbors, etc.) can visit their local B&N and
spend money on books or other items there --we don't have to deal with
the event, setting up, etc.---and then we get a check for the amount of
money that is generated from the visits.

Whatever you decide to do, just remember...if the books that you've
discarded from your library because of various reasons don't meet your
needs (based upon your collection development / selection policy), then
there's a good chance that the books won't be purchased by others for
the same reasons.  I would suggest that you dispose of them properly,
discretely and efficiently.  Many will still come back to haunt you
(despite your efforts), but overall, the public impression is that the
school's library is a place filled with great, new books---not old,
worn, outdated books---and they obviously need more funding for more
books....(see some of the empty spots???)

Just an opinion (from experience).....

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX