Mindy Doler wrote:

>Information needed!!
>
>   A technology teacher just came in and asked for information on purchasing
>an opaque projector.  She wants to project something the size of a piece of
>paper large enough for her students to see.  I hate to direct her to an
>opaque projector when I think a document camera will project an 8.5 x 11
>size page too.  Am I right?  After looking at one in a catalog she was very
>concerned that it would only project one small area of the page at a time.
>(Not what she wants)  Also I would like to share with her other things the
>document camera could be used for.  I know that some people use them all the
>time.  Can you give me some examples of times and ways you and your teachers
>have used document cameras in the classroom.  I was actually pretty
>surprised she had never seen a document camera.  She is really pretty tech
>savvy!  I would really like to WOW her with ideas for using her document
>camera once she has it.

There are times when either a document camera or an opaque projector
will do the job, and there are times when only one or the other will
work. Your teacher needs to use the right tool for the job.

An opaque projector is great for projecting a single piece of paper or a
page from a book (as long as the book isn't TOO thick). The problem is
that it can project only a set size, no matter how large or small the
original is. It also is unable to really project a 3D object. The
advantage of an opaque projector is that it is easily moved, so that the
enlargement can be varied.

A document camera can also project a single sheet of paper or a page
from a book, as well as 3D objects. It can zoom in on a small object or
part of the page. It doesn't do very well with showing a full page of
even 12 point print unless you are connected to a REALLY BIG tv.

I would suggest that your teacher give some thought to just what she
wants to project, and then buy accordingly. Ideally, of course, she
should have both the opaque projector and the document camera available.
That way she can use whichever one will do the best job.

Keep in mind that neither machine is inexpensive, but you should be able
to find a decent opaque projector for under $1000, and document cameras
aren't much more than that. As always, avoid off-brands, and the
dealer's reputation is probably worth more than the small amount of
money you might save by buying from someone you don't know.

--
David Lininger, kb0zke,
MS/HS librarian