From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU] On Behalf Of Dan Robinson
Sent: Thursday, December 02, 2004 10:47 PM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: [LM_NET] TARGET: used book sales worthwhile ?

My cooperating teacher, when I did my library student teaching, had a
fool proof method for discarding 'perfectly good books'. Having been
burned once... She would 'carpet' the floor of her office with the
discards opened spine up, and walk on them. Within a month they were
prime candidates for discarding.  (a hint for some lmnetters, the
district had named its new elementary schools for astronauts).

Personally,  I feel that discards should be recycled. Covers taken off
and trashed, and the paper recycled. There are firms which will pay by
weight, and then there will be no complaints.

Dan Robinson
HW Wilson Company
Bronx, NY
drobinson@hwwilson.com

On 2 Dec 2004 at 20:19, Endlich, Rebecca (EWHS) wrote:

> Alan's school is also a Catholic High School but even so, it has been
> widely discussed that the public of any stripe does not react well to
> seeing what they perceive as "still good books" discarded or gotten
> rid of in any way. I think this is a very risky idea not worth the
> probably bad PR. I have been the librarian in four different libraries

> over my career and in every one, the most common complaint against the

> past librarian was "getting rid of perfectly good books." For that
> reason, I do it as quietly and discreetly as possible. The complaints
> come from staff, by the way, who ought to be more cognizant of kids
> getting outdated information. So you can imagine the probable public
reaction.

> Rebecca Endlich
> Librarian
> Edmonds-Woodway High School