All -
This is a reply about the "State Funded Informational Databases for K-12
students", but with a request for all, below. I know that many states
use a portion of their federal LSTA allocations to purchase state
databases. Unfortunately, Congress did not support recommended increases
for IMLS funding this year, leaving it basically flat-funded. This is
the same funding source for the Literacy Through Libraries grants, which
will also decrease funding this year. This does not bode well for
continued statewide databases, unfortunately. For more info, see
www.imls.gov.

I know this list sees frequent postings to "call your legislator" about
various Congressional bills, and I wonder how many do. I am working on
an article with the premise that the school library professional is
declining because people are NOT politically active enough, and that
contacting local and national political leaders more frequently is
beneficial. I would like to hear from people who consider themselves
'politically active', and how your contacts made a difference. I would
also like to hear from people who consider themselves politically
INACTIVE, as to why you don't get involved. If anyone shares stories
that could be used in this potential article, I'll follow-up with
permission to edit it into the article text.
Thanks.

Eugene Hainer, Colorado State Library - CDE
303.866.6730   |   hainer_g@cde.state.co.us