Several people asked for a hit, so here are the responses I received. =
Thanks again to all who gave me recommendations; I love being a part of =
an information-sharing community!

This question is not really off topic for those of us who deal with =
oldre children and teenagers.  When we tell them that it is illegal or =
unethical to plagiarize/download copyrighted music/break other copyright =
laws, it is nice to have an alternative ready for them.  "To avoid =
plagizrism - you should be sure to cite your sources, to avoid breaking =
laws when you are downloading music, you should go to www.? to find =
music that can be downloaded for free or for a reasonable price, etc." =20
Please share your answers with the group.

Comcast offers it through your connection

My family just subscribed to Rhapsody over Christmas vacation.  It's a =
music service that is completely legal and such high quality that my son =
has deleted Kazaa off the computer.   You pay 9.95 a month and you have
unlimited access to their files.  You can listen, create a personal =
library, and personalize playlists that you can play on your computer. =
The music is straight from the recording companies and Rhapsody provides
background info, links, and more.  If you want to burn songs you can - =
it generally costs 70 cents a track.  They make you put in a password so =
burning doesn't happen unless you've okayed it.  I have used the burning
feature, but my son hasn't needed to.  He loves having the playlists and =
finds the quality to be far beyond what he has heard anywhere else.  I =
do not know if they have games or not.  Also, it is not always easy to =
navigate but then again, I am looking for some pretty obscure music!

My husband subscribes to Rhapsody One for about $10 a month.  We love =
it!  The only drawback is that not all artists participate--for example, =
The eagles, Jim Croce, & Madonna.  Of course, for me, anything Madonna =
eschews is a selling point.

Apple's iTunes is the best quality and pretty inexpensive at only 99 =
cents per song. It will work on either a Mac or WIndows.  Go to =
http://www.apple.com/itunes/ for more information.

Apple's ITunes.
99cents a song for music - all legal

The only legal ones are going to be sites where you pay to download. =
Apple has a good one, I understand, with lots of selections. I think the =
cost is about $.99 a song.

There are several pay sites, from Apple, to Wal-mart. There is a new =
Napster. Amazon has a pretty big section of free and legal downloads. =
However, it is important to read what rights you have (# of copies made,
move to other HD, types of players they will work on, etc. There are =
variations from co. to co.

There are some good reviews and comparisons sites out there. Well worth =
reading.

There are some more 'independent' oriented sites like CDBaby and eMusic =
that offer other features also. Some artist have download sections on =
their own sites too.

Thanks again,
Lucretia Miller
SMS