I think the image goes even further than outward appearance. I dress
somewhat conservatively at work, and yes have the glasses (since I was 5)
used to wear contacts, but they are too thick now so I had to go back to
glasses. *sigh* I wear little makeup and no jewelry to speak of. I have
short curly hair. I am about to go on South Beach Diet, and currently weigh
around 250, so my clothing is limited to blouse and skirt sets, long loose
dresses, khaki pants and button down shirts, or on casual day, jeans. These
clothes aren't really me. The librarian image is often just the "work" image
- plus glasses for people who have ruined their eyes by reading their whole
life by a flashlight under the sheets after bedtime. :-) But I often bust
the image wide open when I talk to some of the students either on campus or
after hours at the public library or the mall. I often wear jeans and
T-shirts that were purchased at concerts. I also prefer funkier clothes,
that once the weight goes down I will be wearing again. The image going
beyond outward appearance comes in when I talk to the students and we find
out that we listen to the same music - Hard Rock, Rap, Dance, Alternative.
Or what my favorite shows or movies are- LOTR, Highlander, Buffy tVS,
Everwood. Or that I have an obsession with Ultima Online and The Sims. Or
the best one was when I had a two hour discussion with a 14 year old about
what Dungeons & Dragons scenarios we had enjoyed the most in our years of
playing. (note: I gave him ideas for future campaigns) Like teachers,
librarians aren't supposed to exist outside the school, library or the
"culture" circuit - art shows, poetry readings (maybe), plays, and other
cultural exhibits. The shock comes to the student when they realize that we
do have a full and unique life outside the realm of books, and often it
mirrors their own. And sometimes it makes them more comfortable in the
library, and they hang out there more. And that's when I feel like I'm doing
my job. Sorry for the babble. Gee, when I quit lurking, I really quit
lurking. I just have always felt that way about the students. I don't have
to be their buddy, but I'd like to be a whole person.

Britt Rodgers Peeples
School Librarian
Valdosta, GA