From: School Library Media & Network Communications
[mailto:LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU]On Behalf Of Taliah Abdullah
Sent: Monday, June 28, 2004 10:58 AM
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: Re: Librarian image......

I saw this segment of 60 minutes and can confirm everything that Mary wrote.

I was watching it with my 12 year old daughter, and her comment after MM
talks about the publisher changing their decision not to publish after being
inundated with calls and mail from librarians was "Wow Mom, librarians can
change things like that? Of course I had to tell her that librarians can do
any and everything:) But also had to give credit to those not fortunate
enough to be in our wonderful profession, telling her that if anybody
believes strongly enough in something wonderful things can happen.

When commenting about the chat room, MM mentions that he didn't even know
that librarians visited chat rooms. He asks "what do they discuss/do?"
SHHHHing. Common stereotype. I know am I not a shhher. I do expect a certain
amount of noise or lack thereof, depending on the activitiy. Anyone else out
there have to deal with teachers/people thinking that library has to be
deathly silent place?

Taliah Abdullah, Teacher-Librarian
MLK Jr. Elementary School
Urbana, IL 61801