Hi folks.

I am looking into Internet issues from a new angle. I have been working on
materials related to cyber bullying, which has caused me to look at issues
pertaining to the US Safe and Drug Free Schools Act.

It is my current perspective that the place to start in an approach to
dealing with cyber bullying is at the level of planning and educational
interventions related to harassment and bullying that are frequently
addressed in Safe and Drug Free Schools programs. I would welcome feedback
on this perspective.

Further, I would be interested in any additional perspectives of the
interface between Internet use and Safe and Drug Free Schools issues. Some
of the other issues I am wondering about include student use of school
Internet services or mobile communication technologies to:

Engage in drug, alcohol, or cigarette dealing via Internet or mobile phone
communications.

Access or exchange of bomb making or other violent, anarchist information
(PLEASE do not think that your filter is preventing this from occurring).

Access to information about and involvement with hate groups.

Other issues I have not thought about??

Is violent gaming and other violent media a concern that schools are or
should be addressing? What about gambling?

Are there any emerging indications in US (or other countries) of the
problems that are appearing in Japan and UK, which is teens, generally
girls, using the Internet for sex/prostitution activities -- offering
sexually explicit pictures, offering sexual services, and the like for money
or other goodies? If so, would you consider these kinds of activities to be
within the parameters of the Safe and Drug-Free Schools plans?

I am suspecting that cyber bullying is the biggest issue within the context
of Safe and Drug Free Schools, but am wondering about the relevance of the
other issues. But I sure would like some insight into the degree to which
other issues are considered to be concerns.

Thanks in advance.

Nancy

--
Nancy Willard, M.S., J.D.