Date:    Mon, 15 Mar 2004 19:30:11 -0700
From:    "Kenny, Beth" <Beth_Kenny@DPSK12.ORG>
Subject: Re: LM_NET Digest - 15 Mar 2004 - Special issue (#2004-367)

I am the LMS at  Career Education Center Middle College of Denver High =
=3D
School and a member of the Construction Advisory Committee.  We are =3D
planning a medium-sized addition on the building which includes a whole =
=3D
new LMC.  If you aren't familiar with middle college, it is an organized =
=3D
effort to get large percentage of  juniors and seniors started on the =
=3D
path toward college.  By H.S. graduation students can be half way =3D
through an associates degree.  =3D20

  The next six to eight weeks will determine a great deal of how the new =
=3D
library will look and function.  The new LMC addition needs to be both a =
=3D
link to the community college (Community College of Denver) two miles =
=3D
away  as well as a link to the curricular needs of the 24 career classes =
=3D
and seven academic programs currently offered in the building.  I would =
=3D
appreciate hearing from anyone running a middle college or =3D
career-centered LMC.  Please offer some guidance on the following =3D
topics:
1.)  What are some things you might do differently if you could redesign =
=3D
your present library?
2.)  How do you connect the college campus library to the goings on in =
=3D
the high school library?  we still have ninth and tenth graders who are =
=3D
attending regular classes.
3.)  What unique challenges did you find as you transitioned from a =3D
conventional high school makeup to the middle college model?=3D20
4.)  What are some common technology requests from the career programs =
=3D
in your school?
5.)  How did you layout the computers in the LMC?  Are the units =3D
clustered in small groups or set up as a more conventional lab?
6.)  Are there increased requests for quiet study space or group project =
=3D
space such as conference rooms?
7.)  Other caveats? =3D20

Thanks!  You don't often get an opportunity to help design a library.  I =
=3D
want to do it right. =3D20
Beth Kenny
CEC Middle College of Denver  H.S.=3D20