I taught 2nd grade at my school for 14 years with a Master's Degree.  When
our librarian retired and they couldn't find one, I agreed to go back and get my
degree and I worked in the library while I worked on my degree.  I have NEVER
regretted my decision.  Since I went for the MLIS degree instead of school
media certification (long story about a former Super who didin't want to allow
time for an internship), I was told that after graduation I would work under a
provisional certificate for two years and then the state would issue me a
permanent library certificate. I sent the board my transcripts and a copy of my
diploma when I graduated.  My two years were up this past December (though this
is my 6th year as the librarian).  During a SACH preliminary this past
Thursday, it was dicovered that my certification still says elementary ed.  I called
the state dept. and they verified this. My board had failed to apply for the
provisional certificate, so now they have to apply for it and then I have to
work TWO MORE YEARS to get a permanent certificate.  I was floored!  It doesn't
effect my pay or anything because I already had a Master's Degree, but it is
so frustrating.  There ws another librarian who graduated 8 months after I did
and they did the same to her! Luckily she knows now and they are also
applying for her.
My advice...check up on everything, over and over,

Jeanna Dennis, LMS
C.F. Hard Elementary
Bessemer, Al
Simon827@aol.com
jdennis@bessk12.org (work)
www.taylorwatts.org
Give the gift of life...give blood!

>>> Error in line 3 of LM_NET.MAILTPL: unknown formatting command <<<

LM_NET Mailing List Home