i found out the public library is doing a summer reading incentive in =
our town so we'll let students know about that.=20

otherwise, here is what some of you had to say:

> I make up a summer reading log with clip art and a space
for parent's signature. We ask our students to read 20 books
over the summer. The first weeks of school they return their
signed logs to the media center. The first week in October I
send out invitations to the Summer readers party to those
who returned their logs. (I am not picky about having the
official log, a sheet of notebook paper with their reading
is okay.) At the party I pass out goodie bags with a button,
a bookmark, a pencil, some small candy treat in it and pass
out certificates. Last year we had a hoedown as our theme
and had a country musician come in and entertain the kids.
We served purple cows. (Grape pop and vanilla ice cream
floats) I had volunteer moms come in and serve the ice
cream. It was great. At the other school where I have no
help with planning, I read a farm story, we sang Old
MacDonald Had a Farm and in between verses I read animal
jokes. (What do cows like to do on Saturday night? Go to the
mooovies.) We have done this for several years and the
number of kids that turn in their logs is increasing. Some
years we had a grant for T-shirts. That was great!

_________________________

We do a district wide pool party.  We have to have it 2 nights, because =
it
includes 5 different elementary schools.   Anyone who reads the required
amount of books for their grade level, gets invited to a private pool =
party,
and we serve hot dogs, pop, and chips to each one.  We have to be tough
about friends/cousins/siblings coming.  You HAVE to qualify by reading,
that's the entire point of a summer reading program.  We enjoy it, and =
all 5
librarians get a chance to 'let our hair down and play with the kids'.

Chuck Finnigan
LMS ~ Central Elem School
Sedro Woolley, WA 98225
cfinnigan@swsd.k12.wa.us