Way back when, I had K-8 - I would schedule two times for classes to come
in- with teacher attendance required.  The first time they came to browse -
and mark their lists with wishes. The second time they came to buy - with
money and list in hand.
If I was lucky, I had a parent volunteer to help with the kids - or with the
money. I didn't always have that.  I would position myself at the door and
had a stamp with the date on it that I would use to stamp all material so we
knew it had been paid for. The student would then line up quietly in the
hall and wait for the rest of the class. Buying day went quickly because
they had their list.  I would always try to schedule an evening session - we
combined parent conference or PTA meeting night that night to boost
attendance at both event.  I would ask for a volunteer to help that night
and was never disappointed.

Toni Koontz
Librarian
St. Charles Preparatory School