Dear LM_Net,

I must of missed the original post for this HIT.

In our school district our elementary librarians have half time assistants
in each building.  However, if a librarian teaches more than 20 thirty
minute classes a week they receive an extra hour and a half per week of
assistant time for every 30 minute class above 20.

This year, we have one librarian who is teaching 30 classes, so she is
getting an extra 15 hours per week of assistant time for her overload.  The
rest of the teaching loads of the other eight elementary librarians in our
district ranges from 17 classes to 27 classes.

The only reason elementary librarians get the extra time for overload is
because it was written into the teachers' contract many years ago.  The
administration hates this portion of the contract because it forces them to
spend money in the library for assistant time.  Many times they would have
refused to increase assistant time for the teaching elementary librarians in
our district if it weren't for the contract.

Our union has resisted efforts by the administration to remove this portion
of contract over the last decade.  We've even tried to get contract language
written in for secondary librarians.  This contract language has helped keep
most of our elementary libraries fully staffed for many years.  Which is an
important piece for creating effective school libraries for improving
student academic achievement.

"Be hold the power of a union."

--
Peter G. Mohn, LMS
Snohomish Freshman Campus

"You live and learn.  Or you don't live long."  -- Heinlein