Hi Renee -
=20
I just did this survey here on the listserv about a week ago and posted a =20
hit.
I'll post the hit again here for you and others who might have missed  it...
=20
=20
This was  my TARGET question:=20
What new reference sets and/or non-fiction books do you  consider=20
indispensable in your collection?  Those that get a  lot of use, both in
the library and circulating?  I am looking for any and all  subjects, in
order to get a general overview.
=20
And here are the responses (thanks to everyone who sent these  great ideas):
=20
Facts on  File.

The dictionary's of are wonderful.
They also have a multitude of  books on things that most high schools=20
curriculum cover that are full of great  information, while being beautiful=20=
to view.

UXL

They have a  wonderful format for many of their history sets, part of the se=
t=20
is on the  primary sources for that subject, the next is the biography and=20
the last is  overall information. =20
=20

Offhand (and you  probably have these already), here are some of what
we could not do  without.

Gale series such as Novels for students, Short stories . .  Poetry . . .
Nonfiction classics . .

American decades

Beacham's  Young adult literature series

Ancient civilizations

American  scenes: events and Amer. scenes: people

Lincoln library of sports champions (just recd.  our 2004 ed.)

Grolier ChemLab and Elements

Grolier Popular  Science

Enslow sports biographies

Importance of. . .  biographies=20
=20

I spend less on general reference, these days, with  encyclopedias,=20
dictionaries, atlases, etc. all on-line or on family  computers.
I can't live without the Guiness Book of Records, UXL Biography  series,=20
Grolier's World of Animals Encyclopedia (especially Mammals), Grolier's  Pro=
 Con=20
Series, Marshall Cavendish's, Cyclopedia of World Authors and Cyclopedia  of=
=20
American Authors.
These are my most used and circulated  sets.=20
=20

guinness books, of  course
New View Almanac ($35-40, avail anywhere)
Statistical Abstract of  the United States
Gale 5-vol Beatniks, Bell-Bottoms and ---? excellent  thru-the-decades look=20
at American pop culture
Ferguson's 4-volume  encyclopedia of careers (good for HS)
Ferguson's 8-volume career encyclopedia  (good for MS)
Salem Press: American Justice, 3 vol set (good for HS social  studies)
Crime Books, Inc, Encyclopedia of World Crime (4 vol) with 2 vol  supplement=
=20
(c1988?)  this is excellent for hard-to-find info on  criminals
facts on file--ency of serial killers, ency of american crime, etc,  as need=
ed
CultureGrams--an absolute must!  previously avail. thru Axiom  Press, my new=
=20
set just arrived thru ProQuest, about $139.00, best money you'll  spend for=20
country research or travellers' info.
Gale: World of Chemistry,  World of Biology, etc, as needed for your=20
curriculum
Wildlife and Plants of  the World (17? vol) great for hi-lo readers, quick=20
info, good photos, Marshall  Cavendish
Grzimek's ... through Gale, expensive but thorough for HS
Great  Athletes, 8 vol set, Salem Press, I think
Masterplots--might want to update  old sets
Music of the Twentieth Century, 3 vol,=20
Rolling Stone Guide/Ency  of Rock and Roll--1 vol, $30-40, I don't have the=20
title exactly right.
Gale  Encyclopedia of Drugs, Alcohol and Addictive Behavior (Ithink that's=20
the  title)--blue, 4 vol.=20

nofiction: (some bio)
Phineas Gage
any  titles by Russell Freedman, Jim Murphy
red scarf girl; return with honor  (these are MUSTS!)
Stick Figure (anorexia)
sports: Basketball's Best  Shots, Hockey's Best Shots, etc
Benchmark Books: Animal Ways  series--all color, beautiful!
She Said Yes; Rachel's Tears
terror of the  spanish main
corpses, coffins and crypts
kennedy assassinated!
piracy  and plunder
bury the dead
close to shore (shark attacks of  1916)
remember d-day; remember pearl harbor--64 p, $18, Nat  Geographic
shipwreck at the bottom of the world
calabro.  perilous  journey of the donner party
so what's the difference? (comparison of  religions)
we are witnesses (five diaries of teenagers who died in  holocaust)
Watts History of Sports set--has 10-12 titles by now
Lucent's  Mystery Series
Facts on File -- guides to winning at sports...covers  basketball, lacrosse,=
=20
wrestling, etc.  but I can't rem. the exact series  name.

i'm forgetting A LOT... hope this helps=E2=80=94=20
=20

We get a lot of use  from the Gale set _Novels for Students_ for lit. crit.=20
=20

Good luck !
Steve
=20