Dear Shonda
You wrote ...

"it's always amazing to me that when
these groups stand up for equal rights, they are often viewed as being
"weird" or "out there" when compared to the regular classroom educators."

"In most schools, the special education student is "tolerated"...in a few,
very exceptional schools, the special education student is embraced"

All I can say is that I am glad I live here where such narrow-minded
thinking of "should we invest more money
in our least productive student when we can invest it in our most productive
student instead?" would land the thinker in the Anti-Discrimination Court.
We have had cases where parents have wanted their disabled students to
attend a particular school (usually independent) and when refused because of
lack of physical access or lack of suitably qualified staff, the school has
had to change its structure.

I think I like the unspoken rule of Australians which is "a fair go for
everyone" and it is hard to imagine living and working in a place where that
is not the case. And I am more than proud to be a member of a "very
exceptional school" that embraces our not-so-able (including staff) but in
this country my school is just like any other really.

Inclusivity is an official, top-level priority of all our education
departments now, and they are even putting their money where their mouths
are so there is appropriate staffing to support both student and teacher.
With a general election here on October 9, education is equal with health as
the #1 issue so although teachers themselves don't necessarily have a lot of
clout, it is the parents of children who go to, or are about to go to,
school who are the biggest percentage of voters so the politicians must have
policies which appeal to them.

As yet I haven't had a response to my email to the copyright authorities (it
is the weekend) but if I discover that we are not allowed to change formats
to assist our students then I will be leading the agitation for change
because at least there is a possibility of success.
Barbara

Barbara  Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School