Well, this is a gripe!  The principal gave the job of making up the =
library schedule to -- a special ed. teacher who teaches very few =
classes a day, and is doing a lot of odd and end things around the =
school: school-wide bulletin boards, helping people move "stuff," etc., =
clearly helping the administration -- and now I have a schedule, which, =
even with a full-time aide, is closed for lunch seven out of every ten =
days.  The reasoning is "get as many classes into the library as =
possible."   The ostensible idea is to get as many books into as many =
students' hands as possible.  Yes, I am all for that.  But there is NO =
TIME for students to come in small groups during lunches (my aide and I =
used to have separate lunches and did clerical tasks until someone =
showed up, at which time we took care of them), or during open times.  =
Last year, I kept the library open ALL DAY, from the time the students =
were allowed in the school, until they were dismissed for the day.  =
Every day there were students who, having already completed the books =
that they borrowed during their scheduled times, came to browse (the =
younger ones with paraprofessionals, 3rd and 4th graders on their own, =
and some 2nd graders, too, especially towards the latter half of the =
year).  This was well appreciated by both students and teachers.   I =
can't schedule special periods for research for particular projects this =
year, either, or give classes alternate times for book exchange whenever =
the schedule is altered by assemblies, testing, early dismissal, special =
meetings, short weeks, etc.

NOW?  I am loathe to offer any of my "free" time, since I have =
considerably less of it, and those jobs (collection development, =
cataloging of materials not purchased already cataloged, etc.) still =
must be done.  I can't even imagine when I will coach the Battle of the =
Books competition, or get books ready for the RIF distributions.  (We =
have about 800 students, so I have order, unpack, count, and distribute =
over 1000 books each distribution, for a total of three times a year.)  =
Last year it was necessary to work at least 6 hours after hours for each =
distribution, even with my "free" time.

What did this schedule, designed by someone who NEVER brings a class to =
the library,  accomplish?  Can anyone tell me this is going to get more =
books into the hands of students?  It's going to give a dozen or so =
teachers a few more periods for which THEY do not have to plan.  They =
come with their students, and truth to tell, only a minority don't 1) =
read magazines 2) gossip with their paraprofessionals, or 3) catch up on =
marking papers or doing their plans.  THIS IS NOT THEIR PREP.  They each =
have a prep every day. =20

I'm frustrated.  I am working harder, but to less avail.  The principal =
says I have to stay with this schedule.  Okay, I will, obviously, but =
I'd really rather do my job in a way that has more actual impact.

Thanks for hearing me out.

Nancy Torok
James J.  Flynn School  (K-4)
Perth Amboy