From: Overdue Laughs (http://www.librarysupportstaff.com/libhumor.html)
-------Original Message-------

From: Brisco, Shonda
Date: 04/28/05 07:53:38
To: LM_NET@LISTSERV.SYR.EDU
Subject: [LM_NET] HIT: Koran Placement in the Library

While the conversation may continue on this subject, I have made the
professional decision to keep the Koran where it is at this time.  While
there have been many who suggest that I move it in order to acknowledge
the wishes of the student, I believe that this goes against the
philosophy that our libraries provide information to all individuals and
that no one book is considered to be of greater or lesser value than
another within these walls.  Materials on the top shelves have no
greater value than those on the bottom shelves.  The classification
system and arrangement on the shelves serves no other purpose than to
provide patrons with an immediate locator for the information needed.

I also believe that when we, as librarians, begin to set precidents with
specific books, we are allowing others to dictate the importance of
those materials in comparison to others.  In a sense, this is a form of
censorship-- by that I mean, what book should be given more respect
within the collection than another?  If I moved the Koran today...would
the Torah be next?  If both of these are placed prominently in an area
of religious respect, will the Christians demand that both of these be
removed because they are not "the true words of God?"  If the Christians
remove these books, then do I place the Holy Bible on a pillar in the
middle of the library?  When the atheists come will I have to remove
them all?

This is a very unique situation in that we have copies of the Holy
Bible, the Torah, and the Koran in the reference section--and have had
them there for years.  Last year, I felt that it was important to allow
the students to have access to these books within the regular collection
so that they could use them for longer periods of time (and to better
understand the cultural and religious differences within our own school
community), so I purchased additional copies of each for placement
within the regular collection.  The Koran which is being referred to in
this situation is in the regular collection.

After studying various online documents, as well as printed documents
regarding the Koran, yesterday, last night, and this morning, I feel
that there are many different protocols regarding the placement and use
of the Koran---many which we, as school librarians, will never be able
to abide by in a religious sense.  Therefore, my stance is that this is
information that is being made available to ALL patrons, regardless.  We
utilize the DDC to provide organization within the library.  A number is
assigned to subject matter (a book) without regard to the importance of
the document within specific cultures or groups, and the book is placed
on the shelves.  Because a library is much like a living, breathing
organism, the collection will continue to grow and change throughout
time. Locations of books will change as the collection grows and
changes, therefore, no one specific title should be given more
importance in location, space, lighting, surrounding materials, or usage
by others.  We repect all books and their contents -- and we respect and
provide various types of information for our patrons, regardless of
their personal, religious or political beliefs.

While I may offend my student unintentionally, I believe that the stance
of neutrality in this situation remains the best course of action.  As
with a censorship issue, my personal, political, or religious beliefs
should not take precident over my professional duties to protect all
information contained in our library and to provide that information to
any who ask for it.  Therefore, placement will be consistent with the
guidelines set by the DDC (call number) for this subject matter and will
be made available to all patrons at that location, regardless of
shelving space.

Thank you for all of your comments, suggestions, ideas, and responses.
I value your input and I will keep you informed of any changes.

~Shonda Brisco
Trinity Valley MS / US Librarian
Fort Worth, TX
briscos@trinityvalleyschool.org