On Thu, 28 Apr 2005, Lynn Cotter wrote:

> We are in a bit of a scuffle at my school. I have used the book, Copyright for
>Schools,  by Simpson and in the book it is quite clear that schools should obtain
>permission to use student work in any setting. If the student is a minor, the
>parent must sign a release letter. I have given that information and sample
>release letters to our superintendent and he in turn asked our school attorney.
>The attorney disagrees and says that we do not need to get permission. I am asking
>two things;
> 1. What does your school do about using student work in a public forum - web
>page, art display, writing contests or whatever?
> 2. Does anyone have record of case law to cite on this issue? I have tried
>searching WestLaw and LexisNexis but it is taking forever and I am not a trained
>attorney - just a librarian.

Students do own the copyright to their work. Some districts have a
blanket form parents sign at registration for usual and ordinary uses
such as the ones you describe. There may be an implied license to use
for in-school display??? Publication and distribution, however, definitely
raise some concerns.

J. Rathbun, Librarian
Mojave High School
Clark County School District
Las Vegas, Nevada
Email: jrathbun@orednet.org
http://ccsd.net/schools/mojave/library

Leave it to Beaver was not a documentary.