We are in a bit of a scuffle at my school. I have used the book, Copyright for
Schools,  by Simpson and in the book it is quite clear that schools should obtain
permission to use student work in any setting. If the student is a minor, the
parent must sign a release letter. I have given that information and sample release
letters to our superintendent and he in turn asked our school attorney. The
attorney disagrees and says that we do not need to get permission. I am asking two
things;
1. What does your school do about using student work in a public forum - web page,
art display, writing contests or whatever?
2. Does anyone have record of case law to cite on this issue? I have tried
searching WestLaw and LexisNexis but it is taking forever and I am not a trained
attorney - just a librarian.
Thanks,
Lynn Cotter
Montague High School Librarian
Montague High School
Montague, MI 49437
lcotter@montague.k12.mi.us

 “There are three things in human life that are important. The first is to be kind.
The second is to be kind. The third is to be kind.” Henry James

http://mail.yahoo.com