Hello again
I think one of the best articles on "employing the activist approach" suggested by
Ann Carlson in
the article quoted by Diane, is Learning in the Information Age School:
opportunities, outcomes and
options by Dr Ross Todd, online at
http://www.iasl-slo.org/conference2003-virtualpap.html.  This
paper, which focuses on evidence-based advocacy,  was the keynote paper of the 2003
IASL Virtual
Conference and there are a number of short posts discussing it at
http://www.iasl-slo.org/conference2003-virtualcom5.html

Todd offers some real food for thought, and the concept of evidence-based advocacy
underpins so much
of what I do and offer.  For instance, while marking university assignments
recently, so many said
they couldn't do x, y, or z because of a, b, or c that I ended up continually
copying and pasting
the question - "So what arguments and evidence would you use to demonstrate that
a,.b, or c can and
should be changed?"

Someone once said "If you are not part of the solution , you are part of the
problem," and while I
am not totally convinced of that, I do believe that if you have a problem, then you
have a
responsibility to investigate and initiate solutions.  If you expect someone to fix
it for you, then
you will never be really satisfied with the outcome.

Enough pontificating so early on Monday - no wonder I have a headache.
Barbara

Barbara Braxton
Teacher Librarian
Palmerston District Primary School